- 35 Billion… the number of plastic bottles Americans throw away every year.
- 90… the percentage of trash that is plastic, floating on the ocean’s surface.
- 46,000… the number of plastic pieces per square mile, in the great pacific garbage patch (located off the coast of California), which is the largest ocean garbage site in the world and twice the size of Texas!
- 1 Million… the number of sea birds killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
- 100,000… the number of marine mammals killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
- 500-1,000… the number of years it takes for plastic to degrade. (Virtually every piece of plastic ever made, still exists in some capacity, with the exception of the small amount that has been incinerated.)
- 93… the percentage of Americans, age six or older, that test positive for the plastic chemical BPA.
These startling facts and many more are courtesy of EcoWatch.com. It is SO important that this enormous issue gets the concern of every person on earth!
Recycling your plastic is a great place to start, but my husband and I took it a step further about 2 years ago… when we decided to give plastic water bottles the boot for good! We drink A LOT of water, so we would go through about two 24 packs of bottled water… a week! That is about 2,500 plastic bottles a year! We each have 5 various Bubba BPA-free bottles and mugs from their large product line, that we fill every day with filtered water. The insulated mug pictured in this post, is my latest addition to my collection and is one of my favorites, because my ice water stays ice cold until the very last drop hours later! Although it’s 32-oz capacity is large, the design allows it to still fit in my cars cup holder. I haven’t had a need to use the bottle opener on the bottom of the handle, but I bet it will come in handy one day. I purchased this from amazon.com for $14.98, but the return on investment is invaluable!
I feel so good, that every year there are 2,500 less plastic bottles being added to the landfills because of our simple lifestyle change! A change that is not only better for the planet, AND healthier for us… but it also saves us about $550 a year!!
I give this product 4 paws!!