I was super excited when I purchased this $39 special on Groupon for the Tarpon Springs Castle Winery… that is,… until I called the winery confirming the hours of operation and inquiring about the scheduling of my tasting!! YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED!!
The first time I called, a woman answered… only after several seconds of fumbling the phone… and did not have a business greeting… just a simple “hello”. This is how the convo continued:
- ME: “Hello, I purchased a Groupon for the wine & chocolate tasting for two and I wanted to use the Groupon this Saturday, …I see you are open until 6pm… how long is the tour?”
- RUDE WINERY LADY: “Oh my gosh ma’am, (…gasp!…) you can’t just show up when you’re using a Groupon,… you have to have an appointment! You’ll have to call back Wednesday so I can pencil you in.”
- ME: “uh, okay… thank you.”
I was SO caught off guard by this woman’s rude attitude towards me… that I had no other words, but to say in my most confused voice… “okay,… thank you”! I stewed over this conversation for the next 5 minutes… replaying it in my mind in disbelief… as I got angrier and more frustrated over her lack of phone etiquette to a potential customer. So I called back… and this is how that convo went:
- RUDE WINERY LADY: “Yeah.” …(No greeting… just “yeah”… seriously?!?!)
- ME: “Yes, I just spoke to you about visiting the winery this Saturday and you said I had to call back Wednesday so that you could pencil me in… and I’m just wondering why I can’t schedule an appointment now.”
- RUDE WINERY LADY: “Because I’m not at the winery ma’am, we aren’t open right now!!!” …(in almost a shouting tone!!)
- ME: “I work in customer service and you are being extremely rude… so rude in fact that I don’t even want to come to your winery & I’m going to contact Groupon for a refund!”
- RUDE WINERY LADY: “I’m normally not this rude.” …(NO apology or remorse of how she treated me,…what-so-ever!)
- ME: “Well you’re extremely rude right now!” … and I hung up her!!
Was this lady for real?!? I later discovered that they aren’t open on Monday… the day I called… but why answer your phone then?!? I immediately told all my co-workers, friends and family this story because frankly… it took me a while to get over it!… plus I wanted to be sure no one gave this winery any business! In using Groupon, companies are essentially paying a fee for new customers and business… WHY THE HELL would an employee be SO rude to a brand new potential customer… especially one that loves wine so much and could have given you A LOT of business!?! Their loss.
I immediately emailed Groupon to notify them of this horrible experience and to request a credit for the full amount of this Groupon I no longer had a desire to use. Groupon customer service responded to my email with sincerity and credited my account for the full amount within 4 hours!!
I give the Tarpon Springs Castle Winery NO paws.
I give Groupon 4 paws!! They are a Meowvalous company!
Here is the Groupon you should NOT purchase: